Open Positions in the CU VisuaLab
The CU VisuaLab is currently seeking researchers at all levels. We currently have openings for an Air Force-funded postdoctoral researcher, multiple NSF-funded Ph.D. student positions, and several projects for masters and bachelors students seeking to build research experience in any of the research areas active in the lab. Please see below for details and reach out to either Dr. Szafir or any of the members of the lab for additional details or to apply.
We are actively seeking a postdoctoral researcher for projects in the area of data visualization, human-computer interaction, and/or interactive machine learning. Successful applicants will work directly with Prof. Szafir, the COHRINT Lab, the U.S. Air Force, and Lockheed Martin, to revolutionize the use of data analytics for public safety and intelligence applications. Project directions include but are not limited to:
- Interactive visualization for collaborative human-machine analysis of large datasets
- Accounting for the analyst in data-driven decision making
- Modeling trust in data and algorithmic decision making
- Visual and computational techniques for transparent machine learning
Ideal candidates will have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Science, Cognitive Science, Aerospace Engineering, or related field. Start dates are flexible and may begin as soon as Fall 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately. Please contact Dr. Szafir with any additional questions or to apply. Applications should include a CV, a short cover letter related to candidate interests in this project, and contact information for three references.
We are actively seeking new Ph.D. students for a variety of upcoming projects, including funded projects sponsored by the NSF and US Air Force. Upcoming projects include but are not limited to:
- Quantifying cognitive and perceptual factors in data interpretation
- Visual analytics tools for collaborative human-machine analysis of satellite imagery data
- Cognitive and perceptual factors in data-driven decision making
- Visual analytics tools for analyzing large text corpora
- Novel visualization approaches for expert-driven inductive text analsis
- Modeling parameters for effective visualization design
We welcome applicants from all disciplines, including Information Science, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Engineering, Design, Statistics, and related fields. Please contact Dr. Szafir with any additional questions or to apply. Applications should include a CV and brief outline of research interests.
Masters and Bachelors Students:
The VisuaLab is always looking for talented masters and bachelors students interested in research in data visualization, computer graphics, human-centered analytics, and AR. We are open to students from all disciplinary backgrounds. If you're interested in a specific project you've seen on the website or heard about through our talks, papers, or discussions, please feel free to reach out either to Dr. Szafir directly or the students listed on the project. All inquiries should include a CV and a brief description of your interests. Current project openings include:
- Multimodal visualization
- Methods for generating realistic synthetic data for data science evaluation
- Visual analytics tools for public health analysis
- Cognitive factors in time series prediction